In the early 1950s, the Newhall Fourth of July Parade meandered down San Fernando Road (now called Main Street)
in front of the Snack Shack (at far left), an extremely popular diner during the 1950s and 1960s.
The "Ulcer Gulch" sign above the Snack Shack was an
Independence Day spoof on Ernie Hickson's nearby Placeritos movie ranch, which turned into "Slippery Gulch" when it hosted Newhall's Fourth of July activities from 1949-51.
The Newhall Refining Company building, later occupied by Newhall Jewelers, is visible at right. Shirley Scown is the young lady in the center of this c. 1950-52 photograph, and Pauline (Norris?) is at right.
The Snack Shack was located at 727 Spruce Street, which became 24325 San Fernando Road in the 1950s.
From 1931 to about 1950, the address was the location of Dr. Sarah L. Murray's medical office and emergency hospital.
Afterward, in the 1970s, it was home to Preferred Glass. In 1983, property owner Virgil Saunders (Saunders Insurance) remodeled it into a two-story, 5,100-square-foot office
building with an address of 24325 San Fernando Road (after 2007, Main Street).
Image courtesy of Robert N. "Butch" Hampton, son of Margaret "Maggie" Hampton, who owned the Snack Shack.
BH0100: 9600 jpeg from smaller jpeg courtesy of Butch Hampton.