Dr. Sarah L. Murray was Newhall's medical practitioner. On May 1,
1931, she opened this office at 727 Spruce Street, on the west side of Spruce between
Market and Eighth Streets. The address number and street name were changed in the 1950s to 24325 San Fernando Road.
In 2007 the road was renamed Main Street.
No, hay wasn't normally scattered in the street during this period.
The bales of hay in this photograph provided seating for parade spectators
on the Fourth of July, circa 1950-52.
Image courtesy of Robert N. "Butch" Hampton, son of Margaret "Maggie" Hampton, who
owned the Snack Shack, which was the subsequent occupant of Dr. Murray's business space.