Typical monthly Eggland ad in the Times, 1924-25.
Eggland was chicken ranch in the Happy Valley section of Newhall that provided fresh eggs to the Saugus Café and other markets and restaurants in the Santa Clarita Valley and beyond.
Owned by R.C. Gibson, Eggland was active in the 1910s and early 1920s. It was located west of Cross Street, between Cross and Valley Street. (Market Street did not extend west of Cross.)
By 1926, Eggland was gone. It was replaced by the Wildwood Sanatorium, a live-in facility consisting of a community room (now a private home) and scattered cabins. Market Street was
extended beyond (west of) Cross street where the Eggland barns and chicken coops once stood.
But R.C. Gibson wasn't quite done. His last advertisement in the L.A. Times from the Market Street location appears to have run in 1925,
but he resumed advertising briefly at the end of 1928 from Newhall, no address given.
At least one Eggland barn remains, as of 2017, at 23352 Cedartown St. (a flag lot).
Blue is the Eggland area, later Wildwood Sanatorium.
CM2001: Images courtesy of Cathy Martin. Download original images here
. Online images only.