Wildwood Sanatorium Cabin No. 11
Happy Valley | Newhall
November 23, 2014 —
This is cabin No. 11, one of several Wildwood Sanatorium cabins that were scattered over 16 acres in the Market and Cross Street area of the Happy Valley section of Newhall and used as housing for tuberculosis patients and nursing staff.
The sanatorium was in operation from 1926 to about 1943; previously the area had been Eggland, a chicken ranch that provided fresh eggs to markets and restaurants including the Saugus Café.
The original (1926) address of the sanatorium was 639 Cross Street. As of 1940 it had 34 employees and 156 beds (counting those in cabins) for 156 patients.
As of 2014, this particular wood-frame cabin, once occupied by patients, still stands in what is now the backyard of the late Gene and Maxine Doty's house at 24339 Cross Street. Its exact year of construction is unknown. Immediately to its north, at what is now 23210 Market Street, is the santarium's community room, built in 1934-35, where patients took their meals and received care. It is now a private home. The proximity of the community room to this cabin can be seen here.
Eugene Mackey "Gene" Doty (Oct. 23, 1920 - Jan. 1, 2014), an aerospace worker and son of Newhall's first Ford dealer, and his wife Maxine Marie Doty (Dec. 8, 1919 - Sept. 30, 2004) purchased the Cross Street property in 1961. They built a 2,380-square-foot, 4-bedroom home that was completed in 1962. They retained the sanatorium cabin at the back of the oak-studded property and used it for storage. The couple raised a family and lived out their years in the Cross Street house.
The cabin itself consists of one main room, about 10x15 feet, with a front door facing north (in the direction of Market Street; now facing a cinder block wall that separates it from the ex-community room on the neighboring parcel). Concrete steps lead up to the front door. Perpendicular to the main room, jutting out from its center, is a wing that houses a toilet, sink, shower and coat closet. On the east side of the cabin, at the back, past the bathroom wing, is a second entrance. The bathroom wing has an exterior door to a storage closet. The structure does not appear to have had a kitchen or fireplace.
1. Genene Doty, daughter of Gene Doty (2014 PC).
2. Genene Doty, ibid.
3. Los Angeles County Assessor record.
4. Genene Doty, ibid.
19200 dpi jpegs from digital images (photographs) November 23, 2014, by Leon Worden.