Official program for the Val Verde Park pool and bath house cornerstone laying ceremony, April 16, 1939.
This copy of the program was entombed in the time capsule that was secreted inside the cornerstone of the Val Verde Park poolhouse in 1939.
The Los Angeles County Parks Department opened the capsule in 1994 during a renovation project and photographed the contents circa 2014.
Val Verde County Park Program
Sunday, April 16, 1939
1. Presentation of Master of Ceremonies, Supervisor Gordon L. McDonough
By Norman O. Houston, [Chairman], Citizens Comm.
(Limit all speakers to 3 minutes)
2. Singing of America
3. Invocation: Re. L.G. Robinson
4. Brief talk on Val Verde Pioneers, by Mrs. Emily Brown Portwig
5. Greetings from the following organizations:
(a) Val Verde Improvement Assn: Mr. J.N. Davis
(b) Val Verde Properties, Inc.
(c) Newhall Communities
(d) Benj. J. Bowie Post, Amer. Legion*
(e) Buffalo Post, Amer. Legion
(g) Women's Political Study Clubs: Miss Evelyn Spiller
(h) Women's Breakfast Club
(i) Men's Breakfast Club: Mr. Dennis Matthews
6. Selections by County Male Quartette and Golden State Mutual Quartette
7. Motion picture stars and celebrities
Miss Fay Jackson
* The American Legion's Benjamin J. Bowie Post 228 was an African American post in Los Angeles.
Chartered in 1922, it was named for Benjamin J. Bowie, the first African American
soldier from Los Angeles to be killed in action during World War I. — Ed.
CP3904: 9600 dpi jpeg from original document on file with the L.A. County Department of Parks and Recreation.