Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> NEWHALL
Bamboo Cafe
Newhall, California


Click image to enlarge

Bamboo Cafe, intersection of 10th and Spruce streets, looking northwest, n.d. American Legion Post 507 (the American Theater) is at far right.

The Bamboo Cafe sat at the northwest corner of 10th and Spruce streets (24501 Spruce Street). It opened October 19, 1954, and was in operation for about 15 years. Its owner was Dick L. Cone, whose family owned the Saugus Cafe for 86 years.

Tenth Street was later renamed Lyons Avenue, and the north side of the intersection was closed. More of Spruce Street was removed to make way for the City of Santa Clarita's Old Town Newhall Library (2012), which sits directly on top of the former Bamboo Cafe site and the adjoining stretch of Spruce Street.



Click to enlarge.

New Bamboo Cafe is Welcomed by Public

Newhall's main stem became the proud possessor of a full-size cafe Tuesday when Dick and Ruth Cone threw open the doors of their Bamboo Cafe at 10th and Spruce Streets.

The establishment has been completely remodeled inside and out, from its arrangements under former operators, and now offers to its patrons the most attractive and modern surroundings as well as good food and fountain drinks.

Judging from public response and comments, the Bamboo answers a long felt need in the village.


HB1702: 9600 dpi jpeg from smaller jpeg; source unknown. Online image only.
BAMBOO CAFE

thumbnail
1960

thumbnail
n.d.

thumbnail
Obituary: Dick Cone (Owner) 2007

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply