Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> NEWHALL
Bamboo Cafe, 1960
Newhall, California


Click image to enlarge

thumbnail
Full View

thumbnail
Detail: Intersection

thumbnail
Detail: Patrons

Bamboo Cafe, 1960. Local historian Ron Kraus points out that the automobile parked on the street at left is a Renault Dauphine. The 4-door, rear-engine economy sedan was manufactured in France from 1956 to 1967.

The Bamboo Cafe sat at the northwest corner of 10th and Spruce streets (24501 Spruce Street). It opened October 19, 1954, and was in operation for about 15 years. Its owner was Dick L. Cone, whose family owned the Saugus Cafe for 86 years.

Tenth Street was later renamed Lyons Avenue, and the north side of the intersection was closed. More of Spruce Street was removed to make way for the City of Santa Clarita's Old Town Newhall Library (2012), which sits directly on top of the former Bamboo Cafe site and the adjoining stretch of Spruce Street.



Click to enlarge.

New Bamboo Cafe is Welcomed by Public

Newhall's main stem became the proud possessor of a full-size cafe Tuesday when Dick and Ruth Cone threw open the doors of their Bamboo Cafe at 10th and Spruce Streets.

The establishment has been completely remodeled inside and out, from its arrangements under former operators, and now offers to its patrons the most attractive and modern surroundings as well as good food and fountain drinks.

Judging from public response and comments, the Bamboo answers a long felt need in the village.


HS0749: 9600 dpi jpeg from original print
BAMBOO CAFE

thumbnail
1960

thumbnail
n.d.

thumbnail
Obituary: Dick Cone (Owner) 2007

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply