Two-penny envelope (now empty; sender unknown), addressed to Mrs. Y. [Ygnacio] del Valle at Compton P.O. Box 40, Los Angeles Co [County], Cal= [California].
Postmarked Newhall, June 2, 1884.
In all likelihood this envelope was hand-cancelled by Newhall Postmaster George
Campton at his general store on Railroad Avenue (then known as San Fernando Road). Counter-stamped on
back (received at) Los Angeles, June 2, 1884, and Compton, June 3, 1884.
Ygnacio del Valle was the owner, from the 1840s to the early 1860s, of most of the Rancho San Francisco,
comprising the western half of the Santa Clarita Valley, which he had acquired upon the death of his father,
Mexican Lt. Antonio del Valle. At various times Ygnacio del Valley served as mayor of Los Angeles and as
in the California Legislature after statehood in 1850. For further reading click here.