Artwork by Vischer (1865) shows a mission scene with the following text:
Chapel and Principal Buildings of the Ex-Mission San Fernando.
Gen. D[on] Andres Pico, with his adoptive daughters, visiting the quarters of the
? aged San Fernando Indians.
The oldest surviving Mission Indians of California / Alifonso [age] 130 [illegible] /
Agapito 115, the first [?] (? a grandfather) / Their wives are also ap[proximately] 100
Tataviam Indians from the Santa Clarita Valley, along with Kitanemuks of the
Antelope Valley and Fernandeños and Gabrielinos of the San Fernando Valley
were rounded up by Spanish missionaries and brought to Mission San Fernando Rey
de España after its founding on Sept. 8, 1797. By 1803 most Tataviam villages
in the Santa Clarita Valley were gone, although some Tataviam arrived at the mission
as late as 1811. Indians were put to work on the mission lands (basically all lands
were now mission lands), and members of the different tribes intermarried to the point
where there were no full-blooded Tataviam Indians after 1921.