Southern Pacific collector's plate marking 120 years since the driving of the golden spike
at Lang Station, linking Los Angeles and San Francisco by rail. Ironically, Southern Pacific demolished
Lang Station in 1971. An historic marker remains where the station stood, about a quarter-mile east of the
Shadow Pines Boulevard offramp off of State Route 14 in Canyon Country.
Front of plate reads:
Lang Station Gold Spike
September 5, 1876
San Francisco-Los Angeles Rail Connection
1876-1996 — 120 Years
...and shows a map with railroad stops in Los Angeles, Saugus, Lang, Palmdale, Lancaster,
Rosamond, Mojave, Tehachapi, Bakersfield, Tulare, Fresno, Sacramento and San Francisco.
Back of plate reads:
Lang Southern Pacific Station
On September 5, 1876, Charles Crocker (president of the Southern Pacific Railroad)
drove a gold spike here to complete his company's San Joaquin Valley Line.
This was Los Angeles' first rail connection with San Francisco and transcontinental lines.
Registered Historical Landmark Number 590
Historical Society of Southern California
June 15, 1957
ChinaConcepts, Golden, Colorado, 1996
Nor for Food Use. Food Consumed from this Vessel May be Harmful.
LW2057: 9600 dpi jpeg from smaller jpeg of plate, collection of Leon Worden.