Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> CANYON COUNTRY
Horses Graze in Mint Canyon
(Now) Canyon Country, California


Click image to enlarge

Mint Canyon (Sierra Highway corridor) in present-day Canyon Country or Agua Dulce, 1950s-1960s.

"Plastichrome" postcard by Colorpicture Publishers Inc. of Boston, No. P30335. Colorpicture started in 1938 with linen postcards and began publishing photochromes under the Plastichrome brand name in the 1950s. It went out of business in 1969.

A postcard such as this would have been sold to tourists at the Solemint Store in the 1950s or Dillenbeck Market in the 1960s. The name "Canyon Country" was invented in 1963 (by Art Evans) and became official in 1968 with the establishment of the Canyon Country Post Office. Previously it was considered part of Saugus.

Back of postcard reads: "The sight of peacefully grazing against a mountain background typifies much of the western scenery in the Mint Canyon area near Nehwall and Saugus, California." (No denomination.)


LW2592: 19200 dpi jpeg from original postcard purchased 2014 by Leon Worden.
MINT CANYON

Butch Watkins Story


thumbnail

Touring 1922-1923

thumbnail

Mint Canyon Highway ~1930s/40s

thumbnail

1950s-1960s

thumbnail

NASA DC-8, 1972

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply