Photos (2x2-inch negatives, Kodak Safety Film) by Cheryl(?) Riley / The Signal.
April 1968 —
Unidentified members of the student body at Mint Canyon School formally present a new monument sign to Dr. Ralph Bell, superintendent of the Sulphur Springs Union School District.
The students conceived and donated the sign, which was installed near the highway.
"Because the school sets some distance off the road,
the youngsters thought the sign would be appropriate." (The Signal, 4/24/1968, photo caption only).
Mint Canyon School opened September 10, 1963, at 16400 Sierra Highway. The previous Mint Canyon School burned down in 1947. Between 1947 and 1963, children in Mint Canyon
attended Sulphur Springs School.
The (current) Sulphur Springs Union School District was organized September 1, 1944, when the original (1872) Sulphur Springs School District and the
(2/12/1879) Mint Canyon School District united. (Source: The Signal, 2/16/1968, pg. 5.)
"Union" in a school district name refers to the union (combination, merger) of two or more school districts into one. It has nothing to do with labor unions and should
not be conflated with "unified," which is a school district with both primary and secondary grades (K-12 or K-14).
9600 dpi jpegs. Signal Photo Archive, Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society collection.