Kindergarten and First Grade, Mint Canyon School, 1976-1977 school year. Teachers are Mr. Archie and Mrs. Camenson.
This Mint Canyon School campus opened September 10, 1963, at 16400 Sierra Highway. The previous Mint Canyon School burned down in 1947. Between 1947 and 1963, children in Mint Canyon attended Sulphur Springs School.
Mint Canyon School is a component of the K-6 Sulphur Springs Union School District.
About the Contributor:
Doris Marguerite (Trester) Patrick moved to the Santa Clarita Valley in 1949 with her parents, Dwight Albert Trester and Flora Trester. Dwight (1913-1994) came from Iowa and worked in the in the Placerita oil field (Confusion Hill).
Flora was a member of the Little Santa Clara Valley (SCV) Council PTA and worked at the Newhall 5-10-25 Cent Store at 644 Spruce Street — which became 24274 San Fernando Road in the 1950s and El Trocadero restaurant in the 1990s. In the late 1960s, the couple also ran their own janitorial service company. In March 1987, following Dwight's retirement from the oil field, the couple returned to Iowa.
Doris grew up in the family home at 24373 Chestnut Street. A member of Camp Fire Girls, she attended Newhall Elementary School and William S. Hart Junior and Senior High School (Class of 1961). She met her future husband, Joe Patrick, at the new
Rollerama skating rink when it opened in Saugus in 1960. He was in the Army, stationed at the local Nike base. They married and moved in 1964 to Canyon Country, where they made their home until 1994. Doris now lives in Texas (2019).
TR7701: 9600 dpi jpeg from original photograph courtesy of Doris Trester Patrick, 2019. Online only.