Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> RANCHO CAMULOS
Sign from SPRR Camulos Depot
Rancho Camulos


Click image to enlarge

September 20, 2014 — Sign from the Southern Pacific Railroad's little Camulos depot. Displayed in the Del Valles' 1853 adobe home at Rancho Camulos Museum.

The depot was built by the Southern Pacific Railroad sometime around the turn of the 20th Century on the Del Valles' Rancho Camulos property, just east of the old ranch buildings and north of the highway (next to the train tracks).

Both the SPRR and the Del Valles capitalized on the tourist trade by promoting Camulos as the legendary "Home of Ramona" from Helen Hunt Jackson's popular 1884 novel. The Del Valles sold oranges and walnuts with the Ramona label while the railroad added a whistle stop to attract passengers to its 1887 spur line from Saugus to Ventura.


LW2716: 19200 dpi jpeg from digital image by Leon Worden.
RANCHO CAMULOS
DEL VALLE ERA

SEE ALSO:
• Del Valle Family
• Camulos Postcards
• Winery


thumbnail

Livestock Ledger 1853

thumbnail

Del Valle Buggy

thumbnail

Del Valle Buggy x26

thumbnail

Picnic of 1886

thumbnail

Lummis Photos 1888

thumbnail

Camulos Depot ~1906

thumbnail

Postmark 1908

thumbnail

County to Pave Highway 1916

thumbnail

Revisit After 35 Years 1920

thumbnail

Sign from Camulos Depot

thumbnail

Rail Ticket ~1920

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply