Highway 99 approaching the Lebec curve (and Hotel Lebec) from the south. Castaic Lake (not to be confused with DWR Castaic Reservoir) would be off to the right in the distance.
Kern County Fire Station 56 was built in 1988 at this location (1548 Golden State Highway, right-hand side of the road in this photo).
Real photo postcard, 1950s or early 1960s; the vehicle might be a 1953 Ford Ranch wagon. Todd Spiegelberg notes that
yellow license plates (like this one) were issued in 1956; black plates were issued in 1963.
Divided back, unused. Reverse side (below) reads:
THE RIDGE ROUTE
Highway 99 between Los Angeles and Bakersfield is well known as
"the Grapevine." This is now a multiple lane divided highway
with easy grades, but years ago was a tortuous narrow road.
Color photo by Louis & Virginia Kay / No. H.1629 / Published and Distributed by Columbia Wholesale Supply, 11401 Chandler, North Hollywood, Calif.
Highway 99 was carved through the canyons in 1933, bypassing the 18-year-old Ridge Route that
connected Los Angeles with Bakersfield. Highway 99 would be replaced in the mid-1960s by Interstate 5.
Ridge Route history by Jerry Reynolds:
Ever since the days of Phineas Banning, General Beale and the Butterfield Overland stage,
vehicles made their way out of Los Angeles, through San Francisquito Canyon, down the Grapevine
Pass, and then into Bakersfield. The California Highway Commission was formed in 1911, and one of
its first priorities was to build a simpler, more direct road through the La Liebre Mountains.
That task fell to the man with the unlikely name of W. Lewis Clark.
Frustrated in several attempts to locate an easy way across the stony barrier, Clark, at last,
blazed a trail right over the top from the mouth of Castaic Canyon to Gorman. It was called the Ridge Route.
After a year of toil, during which four-horse Fresno scrapers graded hilltops alongside chugging
Caterpillar tractors to the tune of a staggering half-million dollars, the Tejon Route, as it was originally
dubbed, opened to the motoring public late in November 1915. The Auto Club did a little calculating,
finding that in the 36 miles between Castaic and Gorman, there were 642 curves that added up to 97
complete circles. It did cut 60 miles off the road, however. (Note: Some sources said 642 curves, others 697.)
Even before construction started in 1914, an enterprising businessman by the name of Sam Parsons
purchased an acre of land from W.H. Cook fronting the stake line, then threw up a general store that
catered to the needs of the workers. Afterwards, "Sam's Place" became a mecca for truckers
and the beginning of a new town called Castaic.[...]
While the Ridge Route did not bring permanent residents (to the Santa Clarita Valley), for the most part it did cut down on
travel time to the great markets of Los Angeles. One could journey to town and back in a single day —
amazing! Then there was the increasing horde of gentlemen clad in long linen dusters with goggles,
piloting their chugging, spitting vehicles with names such as Marmon "41," Winton "Six," or Packard ("Ask the man who
owns one"). They, their womenfolk, and children might get hungry along the way or need gasoline
or automobile repairs. So began a series of what might be called "tourist traps." [...]
The next stop (after Newhall-Saugus) along the Ridge Route would have been Castaic, (and then) there
was the Ridge Road Garage, The Tumble Inn, Reservoir Summit, and that splendid establishment
in the wilderness known as Sandberg. Local rancher Herman Sandberg provided excellent, guaranteed-fresh
steaks at his hotel. Slot machines could also be found there and, in a long, low building out back (known
as "The Crib,") feminine companionship was available for weary truckers and lonely salesmen. [...]
In 1933 Highway 99 was carved up the canyons, bypassing the 18-year-old Ridge Route, which was already
Click image to enlarge.
LW3300: 9600 dpi jpeg from original postcard purchased 2018 by Leon Worden.