Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
SPRR Piru Depot
Piru, California
image
Click image to enlarge | Download archival scan

Modern copy print (probably early 2000s) of a photograph made in the 1960s when the Southern Pacific Railroad leased its Piru depot to the San Salvador Catholic Church (note the cross on top) — or, considering the graffiti, possibly a bit later, during the brief period in the late 1960s between the time the church left the depot and the Southern Pacific bulldozed it.

The depot had closed to passenger traffic in 1938, and regular freight traffic ceased in 1953.

In the early 1960s, the local church's original stone structure had been deemed unsafe and was razed, so the church turned to the abandoned train station for temporary shelter while a new, permanent church building was planned and constructed at 4041 Center Street.

A replica of the depot was built in the early 2000s at the same location — south of Center Street on the west side of the train tracks — as part of a $2.2 million Ventura County redevelopment project following the 1994 Northridge earthquake, which wreaked havoc on the town.


LW3613: 9600 dpi jpeg from copy print purchased 2019 by Leon Worden.
RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply
comments powered by Disqus