Myrna's early years were split between Jackson Hole and Richfield, Utah, when her parents moved to take over an automobile dealership. The family eventually sold the business and returned to Wyoming, where Myrna graduated from Jackson Wilson High School in 1965. During her senior year She was voted prom queen and class secretary. That fall, she left home to attend college at Utah State University.
It was in her second year of college that she met a young man who had just returned from Germany. He spoke German. That impressed her, since she had an older brother who also spoke German. Myrna got engaged on her birthday to Gary Condie, and the couple married June 8, 1967.
After spending the summer managing a lodge in Jackson Hole, the newlyweds transferred to Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, where both continued their schooling. Myrna, Gary and their daughter, Heather, eventually moved to California where Myrna attended California State University, Northridge and finished her degree in clothing and textiles and fashion design.
Over the years, Myrna has enjoyed making bridal gowns, prom dresses, evening dresses and numerous other fashions. Her style is to sit down with people and sketch out what they want. She then designs her own pattern. One year, a winner at the Emmy Awards wore a gown Myrna created.
Myrna has taught advanced sewing, textile science and fashion design for the American College, Santa Monica Community College and Los Angeles Unified School District. She has also worked in the costume department at California Institute of the Arts. In 2005, College of the Canyons named the costume shop at its new Performing Arts Center the Myrna R. Condie Costume Shop in recognition of her achievements.
Myrna and Gary have provided love and care for 15 foster children over the years. Their home has always had an open door. They are still close to many of these individuals and their children today.
Myrna has battled health problems her whole life. Two open-heart surgeries, seven heart pacemakers and other related surgeries are the result of multiple congenital heart defects. But that hasn't stopped her from developing her talents, raising a family and serving others in many different ways. Her volunteer service spans many years and has made a difference in the lives of many individuals in the Santa Clarita Valley.
• Founder, SCV Festival of Trees
• Co-Founder, Boys & Girls Club of Santa Clarita Valley Foundation
• Past Co-Chair, SCV Festival of Trees
• Past Co-Chair, COC Silver Spur Celebration
• Current Member, SCV Boys & Girls Club Foundation Board of Directors
• Current Member, COC Foundation Board of Directors
• Current Chair, COC Circle of Friends Committee
• Current Member, SCV Festival of Trees Executive Committee
• Current Member, COC Foundation Board Governance Committee
• 2009 California Mother of the Year
• 2006 Boy Scouts of America Leaders of Character Award
• 2005 College of the Canyons Performing Arts Center Costume Shop Naming
• 2004 SCV Boys & Girls Club Samuel Dixon Award
• 2003 SCV Boys & Girls Club Foundation Board Member of the Year
The SCV Man and Woman of the Year Committee welcomes the 2012 Woman of the Year, Myrna Condie.
Video ©2012 SCVTV.com | Text ©2012 SCV Man & Woman of the Year Committee