Original classroom rental and lease agreement between the Newhall School District (lessor) and the William. S. Hart High School District (lessee), dated September 1, 1960.
The Santa Clarita Valley's first high school (Hart) opened in the mid-1940s as a junior and senior high school (although it didn't house all 7-12 grades until the 1948-1949 school year).
By 1960, it was overflowing with students, so the Hart District leased space at Newhall Elementary School for its seventh graders in the fall of 1960 — ten classrooms and a share of the school auditorium and playground —
at a rate of $1,400 per month until the Hart District's first separate junior high school (Placerita) was ready in 1961.
Newhall Elementary couldn't accommodate everyone, either, so the Hart District bused some of Newhall's fourth, fifth and sixth graders to the Newhall District's new elementary school
(its second) — Peachland, which had opened in 1959.
And it took only a 2-page contract and a 3-page memorandum of understanding to achieve it.
Signing for the Hart District are board members Adrian Adams, Edith Palmer, Howard Gulley, William D. Ross and Julio Lombardi.
NS6001: pdf of original contract courtesy of Newhall School District. Download pdf here