Main Del Valle adobe at Rancho Camulos.
RA2101a — Inner courtyard. 8x10-inch copy print, n.d. Original probably 1920s, possibly 1910s.
RA2101b — South veranda. 3.5x5.5-inch print, n.d. Probably 1920s, possibly 1910s.
RA2101c — 2.5x4-inch print, numbered 29384-95, n.d. Probably 1920s.
RA2101d — 2.5x4-inch print, numbered 29385-95, n.d. Probably 1920s.
RA2101e — 2.5x4-inch print, numbered 29388-95, n.d. Probably 1920s.
RA2101f — 4.5x6.5-inch print, n.d. Probably 1920s.
RA2101g — 7x9-inch copy print, n.d. Original probably 1920s or 1930s.
RA2101h — South porch. 3x4-inch Kodacolor print, dated June 6, 1942.
About the Main Del Valle Adobe
From Triem and Stone (1996):
The Ygnacio del Valle Adobe was built in several phases, beginning in 1853 and reaching essentially its present plan by 1880. The first four rooms, built circa 1853, form the southeastern portion of the U-shaped adobe. These original rooms were L-shaped in plan, with porches extending across the northern and southern elevations supported by chamfered wood posts. The medium gable roof was evidently covered originally with wood shingles, but is now covered with asphalt composition shingles. Four doors open onto the porch or corredor. The doors have glass panes in the upper portion and recessed panels in the lower half, forming an X-pattern. Two adobe buttresses frame a solitary window at the eastern corner on the south elevation. A small wooden balcony is located at the east end of the south wing. A door opens onto the balcony from below the gable peak. A brick chimney punctuates the roofline.
Between 1861 and 1862, an addition created three rooms adjacent and to the west of the original four rooms. A cellar under this portion of the adobe is accessed through double wood doors below the porch. Steps lead up to a raised porch, presently enclosed with screens. This section of the adobe has a hip roof originally covered with wood shingles, but now covered with asphalt composition shingles. Wood sash windows have six over six lights. At the same time, a free-standing kitchen building was constructed at the northeastern corner of what was to become the patio area.
During the 1870s (an exact date is presently unavailable) a west wing was added on a perpendicular to the 1853 and attached 1861-62 sections. A screened-in corredor runs along the western elevation of this section of the adobe creating an L-shaped plan. The corredor is supported by square capped posts and has concrete floors. Six entrances located along the corredor lead into the bedroom and living areas. The doors are paneled wood, and the four, wood sash windows are six over six paned. The final alteration to the plan of the adobe was made at some time between 1895 and 1923. This hip-roofed, one-room addition to the north end of the west wing was constructed of stone and covered with plaster to read like adobe. The kitchen was eventually connected to the main body of the adobe by means of a breezeway, completing the U-shaped plan.
The Ygnacio del Valle Adobe evolved and expanded considerably over a roughly fifty year span, but essentially represents the overall plan and appearance it attained by 1880. The most architecturally intrusive alterations are the addition of large picture windows on the west side of the west wing, and on the north side of the south wing made in the 1950s. The original kitchen in the north wing was remodeled into a garage and servants quarters between 1925 and 1934.
RA2101: Download original scans here
. Rancho Camulos Museum collection.