California Highway Patrol office at 15th Street and San Fernando Road in Newhall, 1953, seen
from back yard of the Rice home. Seen is "Lucky," the photographer's collie. Photo
by Bill Rice at age 11.
The California Highway Patrol, initially a branch of the DMV, was established in 1929. A patrol area for Soledad Township was established December 1, 1938. Patrolmen covered the Santa Clarita and Antelope valleys from leased space in the Newhall Sheriff's substation at 6th Street and Spruce (now called Main Street). On July 15, 1941, they moved into their own office at 15th Street and San Fernando Road (now called Railroad Avenue). In 1955 the Antelope Valley was split off and a substation was established in Lancaster. On May 8, 1957, a new, larger office for the Newhall CHP opened on the west side of Highway 99, just south of Lyons Avenue (address 25022 N. Golden State Highway). Ten years later, on December 20, 1967, the Newhall CHP moved to the east side of the highway (25111 Golden State Highway; grand opening February 21, 1968), on a 10-year ground lease from a private party. In 1991 the CHP built a new, $4.7 million, 15,000-square-foot office six miles to the north on a 1.7-acre site that it lease-purchased (28648 The Old Road). It opened September 15, 1991.