Newhall's original "Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help" was a wood-frame building constructed in 1914 at the northwest
corner of Walnut Street and 10th Street (later called Lyons Avenue), facing Walnut. Saugus merchant Ore Bercaw had donated the first $100 to the building fund.
With seating for 100 people, it opened its doors Sunday, Jan. 17, 1915.
In 1939, a larger stucco building, with seating for 185, replaced it in the same location. It was served by a pastor out of San Fernando until
1944 when the church was elevated to full parish status and a pastor was appointed to it.
As the area's population grew, parishioners established a building fund and eventually purchased a 10-acre parcel a few blocks to the west (at 23233 Lyons Avenue) for a new church,
which replaced the second one in August 1961.
As of 2013-2014, plans are on the drawing board to replace the current (third) church building with an even bigger one in the same general location. (The third church
structure will remain and be put to different use.)
OLPH Catholic Church: Rooted in History, Looking to Future.