Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church
Parish 50th Celebration 1944-1994
This booklet is presented to the parishioners of Our Lady of Perpetual Help to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the dedication of our Santa Clarity Valley parish.
The earliest known Catholic services were held in the town of Newhall in 1883. They were conducted by the Rev. Peter Verdauger, who came here from the Old Plaza Church in Los Angeles. The schoolhouse was used for Mass. However, it was not until the year 1914 that the first Catholic Church was built in the valley. The Church continued as a mission parish until 1944, when it became an independent parish. It is to acknowledge that event that we are celebrating as a parish.
In this booklet we hope to capture as much of the history and flavor of the parish as possible. The history is taken from many sources and the memories of many parishioners. Parish organizations are briefly described with highlights of their parish involvement. Our Lady of Perpetual Help has been famous for the hospitality, entertainment and nourishment that it has provided through the annual barbeque.
We hope that this will provide our parishioners with insight into our parish growth and many fond memories in the years to come.
Download individual pages here
. Book courtesy of Patti Rasmussen.