Hart Mansion under construction, October(?) 1927.
Silent film superstar William S. Hart purchased the 254-acre Horseshoe Ranch in Newhall in 1921 from Babcock Smith but continued to make his home in present-day West Hollywood. In 1926, following his retirement from the screen, he commissioned Los Angeles architect Arthur Kelly to build a Spanish-style home atop the windy hill on the
Newhall property for himself and his sister, Mary Ellen.
Completed in 1927, Hart christened it "La Loma de los Vientos," or Hill of the Winds. It was designed in such a way that the wheelchair-bound Mary Ellen had exterior access from her second-story bedroom.
Mary Ellen died in 1943, Bill in 1946. In his will, which was unsuccessfully contested by his estranged son, William Jr., the elder Hart left his Newhall estate to the people of Los Angeles County. Today the grounds are maintained by the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation, while the mansion is a component of the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County system.