Click to enlarge.
Gerald Heidt, president of the Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society, on Monday presented two plaques to the Friends of Hart Park.
They will hang in William S. Hart's historic Newhall home.
The plaques originally had been given to the SCVHS on the occasion of the first Cowboy Walk of Fame ceremony in 1981, when Hart was honored, along with Gene Autry and Tom Mix, with bronze markers on San Fernando Road.
One plaque is a post humous award with the Los Angeles County seal, presented by Fifth District Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich to honor Hart, who was born on December 6, 1870 [sic: 1864] and died June 23, 1946.
The second is a resolution, signed by State Senators Ed Davis and David Roberti representing the Senate Rules Committee, stating that whereas, "the prestigious Cowboy Walk of Fame in Newhall serves to preserve for future generations their Western heritage ... and
"Whereas, Among the first to be honored with a bronze engraved saddle is William S Hart, cowboy and star of numerous western films including the first full-length western, 'The Squaw Man' [sic: Hart portrayed "The Squaw Man" on stage but not in film]; and
"Whereas, In 1921, he bought the Horseshoe Ranch in Newhall, and upon his retirement in 1925, he began construction of La Loma de Los Vientos, 'Hill of the Winds' Mansion, which was completed in 1928, and stands as a landmark throughout the Santa Clarita Valley; and
"Whereas, His mansion was filled with Bill's Old West memorabilia, paintings from such noted artists as Charles Marion Russell, James Montgomery Flagg, sketches by Frederick Remington, and many Indian artifacts, especially Indian rugs and beadwork; and
"Whereas, Mr. Hart willed the mansion to Los Angeles County and today the home is open to the public and registered as a California historic point of interest, and
Click to enlarge.
"Whereas, His concern for the youth of Newhall and their need for entertainment caused him to provide the town's first theatre, the American Theater, now the American Legion Building, and in recognition thereof, the town's first high school was named after him and subsequently the district became the William S. Hart High School District;
"Now therefore, be it resolved by the Senate Rules Committee, Senate Rules Resolution 1103."
Hart, who loved the Santa Clarita Valley and gave generously of his time and effort to the people in the community, left the heritage of his home and ranch to be enjoyed, by the public, free, down through the years.
The Friends of Hart Hark is a group of local citizens who have formed a nonprofit organization to raise funds to help restore the Hart mansion. Money is no longer easily available through Los Angeles County.
Guided tours through Hart's home are given from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, and from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.