Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> FIRES/DISASTERS   > ROADS
Dedication of Trueblood Roadside Rest
Castaic, California

Click image to enlarge | Download archival scan

July 31, 1961 — Dedication of Trueblood Roadside Rest, a 5.94-acre Los Angeles County Park facility (the county's first "roadside park") on the east side of Highway 99 at Elizabeth Lake Canyon Road in Castaic. Today (2019) this section of Elizabeth Lake Canyon Road is called Castaic Road, and the location would be identified as across the street (across Castaic Road) from L.A. County's Castaic Sports Complex.

The rest stop was named for the late Signal newspaper owner-editor Fred W. Trueblood Sr., who purchased the weekly newspaper in 1938 and ran it until his death on April 28, 1960, aged 69 years. In recent months as his heath flagged, friends and family members began to take over his jobs. Fred Jr. would take the helm but not for long; he sold the paper in 1963.

Fred Jr. is in the center under the "S" of "LOS." Next to him with white gloves is his wife, Bobbie Trueblood. Fifth District Supervisor Warren Dorn is in the white shirt under the word "COUNTY." Little Michael Trueblood, son of Fred Jr. and Bobbie, is seated in the foreground [source: Michael Trueblood, 2019].

The photograph was made by Gus Trueblood, another one of Fred Sr.'s sons, who regularly shot photos for the family paper. This photograph appeared in the August 4 edition. Its published caption reads:

State, County Officials Dedicate New Park.
LATE SIGNAL EDITOR HONORED — The county's first roadside park was dedicated Monday afternoon in honor of Fred W. Trueblood Sr., late editor of the Newhall Signal. Formal ceremonies held under an old eucalyptus tree at the park located near Castaic included remarks by Supervisor Warren M. Dorn; Norman S. Johnson, director of the County Dept. of Parks and Recreation; Charles A. DeTurk, chief of the California State Division of Beaches and Parks; Mrs. Gertrude G. Harriman, member, State Park Commission; Edward T. Telford, asst. State Div. of Highways engineer; and John C. Roloff, touring bureau manager, Southern Calif. Automobile Club. Fred W. Trueblood Jr., present editor of The Signal, made the acknowledgment for the Trueblood family and introduced all the members of the late editor's family who were present. Also attending were Capt. Donald Millican and Sgt. L. Anderson of the CHP, Lt. James L Gregg, acting captain of the Newhall Sheriff Station; Chief Harvey Anderson of the County Fire Dept.; Mrs. Debaca; Milton Breivogel, director of the Regional Planning Commission; and Bob Meyers, assistant to Supervisor Dorn.



Same image as above, photraphically enlarged and cropped. (Cropped in 1961 by Gus Trueblood, not decades later with a computer.) Click to enlarge. | Download archival scan



Gus Trueblood's notes on back of published image. Click to enlarge. | Download archival scan



The Signal, August 4, 1961. Click to enlarge.


FT6101: 9600 dpi jpeg from original 8x10 photographs courtesy of Fred W. Trueblood III. Online/digital archive only.
TRUEBLOOD FAMILY

thumbnail

Fred Sr. 1890-1960

thumbnail

Bobbie's Story

thumbnail

Legacy: Gus Trueblood

thumbnail

Dedication: Trueblood Roadside Rest 1961

thumbnail

Trueblood Roadside Rest

thumbnail

Site of Trueblood's Roadside Rest 2017

thumbnail

RWF Cookbook 1964

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply
comments powered by Disqus