March 18, 2018 —
Dedication of monument to victims of the 1928 St. Francis Dam disaster who are buried at the Piru Cemetery, 3580 Center Street.
First five (5) photos are by Sylmar resident Craig Baker, a retired electrician with the LADWP.
First photo shows Richard G. Morales, who constructed the monument.
Remaining (19) photos of the monument under construction and victims' grave markers at Piru are by archaeologist Ann Stansell on March 12, 2018.
Held in conjunction with other 90th anniversary events, the Piru Cemetery District commemoration included a prayer for victims, remarks by Stansell, a cemetery tour by John Avila and placement of
floral remembrances at the victims' graves led by Debi Chessani of the Piru Cemetery Association.
This memorial is dedicated to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the St. Francis Dam Disaster.
Just before midnight on March 12, 1928, the dam collapsed and sent billions of gallons of water down the San Francisquito Canyon, eventually meeting the Santa Clara River on its way to the Pacific Ocean.
Many local families who worked and lived near the river on the ranches of Newhall & Camulos, along with residents from Piru & Buckhorn, were swept away. Some survived, most perished, and some were never found. Left forever, entombed in the mud of the river.
May they all be at peace. God bless.
HB1830: Download original images here