June 14, 2015 —
One of two California Indian coiled baskets on display at the Ramona Museum, 339 S. Mission Drive, San Gabriel.
Museum signage identifies it only as "Southern California." Damaged.
Probably yucca root (red) and bracken fern (black) designs on a sedge root background. Kern River: Either Yokuts on the east (Tejon area) or Tubatulabal on the east (Lake Isabella area).
The Ramona Museum houses the collection of Ramona Parlor 109, the L.A.-based chapter of Native Sons of the Golden West, a historical association of persons born in California (regardless of ancestry). The Ramona Museum's core collection was donated to Ramona Parlor 109 in 1912 by the organization's historian, Charles Prudhomme.
Chartered in 1887, Ramona Parlor 109 performed the functions of a local historical society in the Santa Clarita Valley until the SCV established its own society in 1975.