Magic lantern slide advertising "Gun-Hand Garrison" starring Kermit Maynard (as "Tex" Maynard), Trem Carr Productions 1927. The
lantern slide was issued by "National Studios Inc., Formerly Excelsior Illustrating Co. Inc.," patented 1924.
Kermit was better known for his stunt work, leaving the acting to brother Ken Maynard. From the porch roof where Kermit is standing in this image,
it would not be unusual to see him leap onto the men below, or onto a horse from this height.
"Gun-Hand Garrison" was probably filmed at least in part in Placerita Canyon. We can't be sure, because the picture apparently no longer exists, but Carr was using Placerita
Canyon extensively at this time. (We do know it was not filmed at Melody Ranch or at Carr's eponymous movie ranch because neither existed in 1927.)
"Gun-Hand Garrison" was distributed by future part-time Newhall resident W. Ray Johnston's RayArt Pictures Corp. and features Rayart's Rough Riders. The cast includes Paul Malvern,
who was also directing pictures in Placerita Canyon in the 1920s. The term "Rough Riders" suggests it's a buddy picture — a formula Malvern would champion in the 1940s when
he recycled waning "B" Western stars of the 1920s and 1930s by teaming them up together (usually three of them) in the same feature.
Rounding out the cast are Ruby Blaine,
Edward Heim and
The crew includes a few of Carr's regulars: Edward Gordon (director), Arthur Hoerl (screenplay) and Hap Depew (cinematographer).
Trem Carr quit the construction trade in Illinois in 1922 and came out West to make movies. By 1926 he was doing just that in Placerita Canyon under his own name, Trem Carr Productions.
In 1928 he teamed up with W. Ray Johnston to form the production company Syndicate Pictures Corp. In 1931, Carr and Johnston reorganized Syndicate into the first iteration of Monogram Pictures Corp.,
with Johnston as president and Carr in charge of production. That same year, Carr leased property in Placerita Canyon which would eventually become part of Walt Disney's Golden Oak Ranch. In 1936,
when Carr's lease was up, he moved his Western movie town down Placerita Canyon Road to property purchased for that purpose by set designer Ernie Hickson, another 1922 arrival.
Hickson's Placeritos Ranch was renamed Melody Ranch when Gene Autry bought it following Hickson's death. Johnston, incidentally, lived in
Newhall part-time in the 1940s, in a Charley Mack house on 8th Street.
LW3132: 9600 dpi jpeg from original lantern slide purchased 2016 by Leon Worden.