Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> NEWHALL   > ROADS
Last of the Newhall Auto Tunnel
Newhall, California


Click image to enlarge

Last of the Newhall (Auto) Tunnel.

Real photo postcard, 1938.

As the age of the automobile descended on the Newhall Pass, Beale's Cut proved to be too difficult a climb for this new mode of transportation. Therefore in 1910, the 435-foot-long Newhall Auto Tunnel was constructed a quarter-mile to the northwest of Beale's Cut. Just 17½ feet in width, the tunnel was quite narrow, making it difficult for two-way traffic to pass through.

By 1938, with increasing auto and truck traffic, the California Division of Highways determined it needed to be replaced. In July of that year, the mountain above the tunnel was blasted away, and a four-lane road was built above the level of the old tunnel. It was first known as Highway 6, then Highway 14, and finally as the present-day Sierra Highway. The cutout of the mountain where the tunnel was located can still be seen today on Sierra Highway at the crest of the Newhall Pass.


MJ1401a: 19200 dpi jpeg from Collection of Michael J. Semas.
NEWHALL (AUTO) TUNNEL, 1910-1938

See Also:
Newhall Grade

thumbnail

Tunnel Opens 1910

thumbnail

South Portal, 1914

thumbnail

South Portal, 1914

thumbnail

ca. 1914

thumbnail

L.A. County Highways 1920

thumbnail

Tinted Postcard, 1920s

thumbnail

North Portal, 1920s

thumbnail

South Portal, 1920s

thumbnail

Tunnel Traffic, 1920s

thumbnail

South Portal, 2-7-1926

thumbnail

Aerial 1930

thumbnail

South Portal Cut Lines, 1938

thumbnail

Tunnel Being Replaced, 1938

thumbnail

Last of the Tunnel, 1938

thumbnail

Highway Replaces Tunnel, 1938

thumbnail

Bronze Plaques 2001

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply