Detail from this larger compilation of aerial photographs made between July 18 and August 25, 1930,
showing the Newhall Auto Tunnel and oil operations to the north of it on the Needham Ranch. North is at the top of the image displayed here;
note that north is not at the top of the full, original image.
The auto tunnel, built in 1910, is directly below the "X" near the center of the image.
The purpose of the wide, drawn-on line that crosses over the top of the tunnel is unknown. The same line crosses over Beale's Cut,
which is the cleft at the bottom, just right of center.
US-6, aka Sierra Highway, has been newly improved, probably in January 1930. (Click here for additional information about that.)
According to local historian Stan Walker, the Newhall Refinery started construction in April 1930 and began operations in July on Clampitt Road,
which is the road in the middle of this image that juts out to the right.
It would have just fired up in this photograph. It is not yet developed to its full, eventual size.
The auto tunnel was cut away in 1938 to create Sierra Highway as it is known today.
The series of aerial photographs was commissioned by Standard Oil Co. from Fairchild Aerial Surveys.
BA3001: 9600 dpi jpeg, UC Santa Barbara Library collection.