Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures

Beer Advertisement at Oil Exchange
Newhall, California

thumbnail
Version 1

thumbnail
Version 2

thumbnail
Beer Sign

Sign advertising John Wieland's Extra Pale Lager Beer next to the doorway at the Oil Exchange on Railroad Avenue in Newhall.

Located just south of Campton's General Store (later Lindenfeld & Landell's), the Oil Exchange was a turn-of-the-20th-century saloon for local oilmen.

John Wieland was a prominent California brewer prior to Prohibition. He emigrated from Germany to Philadelphia in 1849 and set out for California in 1851 to try his hand at prospecting. It didn't take him long to figure out his prospects for riches were better if he let others do the mining while he called on his German heritage to slake their thirst. He established a brewery in 1856 south of Market Street in San Francisco and grew it into an empire, expanding into the domestic export market. In 1885, Wieland and some of his family members died in a house fire. The brand lived on and had several other bottlers.


MS0193b: 9600 dpi jpeg from copy print
OIL EXCHANGE (Bar)

thumbnail

thumbnail

Good-for Token 1890s

thumbnail

5¢ Token 1890s

thumbnail

thumbnail

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply