This photograph of Railroad Avenue in downtown Newhall, looking west, probably dates to the early 1910s. It was shot from the hill
immediately east of Pine Street and the Newhall Creek.
We say early 1910s because the general merchant is Edgar B. Lewman, who took over as Newhall's postmaster on Feb. 24, 1912, from the previous owner of the general store,
Francis H. Landell. Next to the store, running perpendicular at the right edge of the photograph, is 8th Street. The road running left to right through the middle of the photo is Railroad Avenue. Seen
at left is the Oil Exchange, which was a saloon.
Railroad Avenue was Newhall's "Main Street" from 1878 until about 1914, when a dispute over real estate
prices led merchant Albert Swall to build a hotel one block to the west, on Spruce Street
(known as Main Street today). Many merchants followed suit.