Saloons and general stores dominated Newhall's Main Street, alternately known as "Railroad Avenue" or
"San Fernando Road" (not to be confused with the modern-day San Fernando Road) in the 1890s.
By this time, George Campton's general store, which housed the Newhall Post Office, had been remodeled. Campton now
had competion from James M. Gulley, whose general store is seen at left. Gulley's store was previouly
owned by Joshua O. Newhall, a cousin of town founder Henry Mayo Newhall.
Next to Gulley's store is the home of the Judge John F. Powell family. Powell was appointed justice of the Soledad
Judicial District in 1875 and served on the bench for almost forty years. A few doors down is the
"Palace Saloon," owned by Mike Powell (J.F.'s brother); then Campton's store; and finally the Derrick Saloon — a favorite of Pico
Canyon's oil drillers — at the end of the block. In the background, left of center, is the second Newhall School,
which was built in 1890 after the original school burned down.