Railroad Avenue in downtown Newhall at the 8th Street intersection (in center), probably 1911 or 1912 because the name of the general store (Lindenfeld & Landell) has been painted out and the
new name (Lewman & Co.) has not yet been added.
Edgar B. Lewman took over as Newhall's postmaster from the previous owner of the general store,
Francis H. Landell, on Feb. 24, 1912. That's probably not too long after he bought the store, which doubled as the post office.
The photographer is standing on the hill east of Newhall Creek, roughly at the head of 9th Street, looking back (southwest) toward 8th Street.
A feed store and livery is visible at right. Behind it, toward the center of the photo, is a partially visible sign for a saloon. That's the Derrick Saloon. Although the building has
been completely reconstructed over the years (the current "built" date is 1962), it is believed to be the oldest building in Santa Clarita that's still used for its original purpose. Today (2015) it's the VU bar.
Railroad Avenue was Newhall's "Main Street" from 1878 until about 1914, when a dispute over real estate
prices led merchant Albert Swall to build a hotel one block to the west, on Spruce Street
(known as Main Street today). Many merchants followed suit.