Detail from aerial photograph, 1930. The school buildings are at lower right (corner Walnut and 11th streets). The open field on the north side of the school was the original
Newhall Park. Its replacement, the current Henry M. Newhall Memorial Park
at Newhall Avenue and Dalbey Drive, opened in 1950. Click to enlarge.
The entire student body of Newhall School (grades K-8) gathers in front of the original auditorium for a photograph during the 1928-1929 school year.
Photographer unknown. Photographic print is 8x25 inches (including borders). Indentified "28-29" on the back.
This was the fourth Newhall School buliding complex. Located at 1113 Walnut Street, it opened in the fall of 1925 and burned down Valentine's Day 1939. It was rebuilt at the same location
(in a different configuration) and reopened in May 1940. The seventh and eighth grades were transfered in the 1940s when William S. Hart Junior and Senior High School opened, but they
didn't go far; the junior-senior high school operated on the Newhall School campus until a separate junior-senior high school was built a block away on Newhall Avenue. In the 1950s,
the address 1113 Walnut was changed by the county to 24607 Walnut.
NS2801: 9600 dpi jpeg from original photograph courtesy of Wendy Stimson, executive assistant to the superintendent, Newhall School District, 2018.
FOURTH NEWHALL SCHOOL 1925-1939
• 1939 FIRE
School Opens 1925
1st Commencement 1926
Student Body 1928/1929
Quad Area 1930
1st Grade 1933
Miss Frisbee's Class 12/1935
Tom Thumb Wedding ~1936
School Play? 12/1936
Arabian Nights ~1937
Teachers Bertha & Emma Blum 1937
8th Grade 1938
Patricia Cook's Diploma 1939