Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> RUBEL FAMILY PHOTOS   > RANCHO CAMULOS   > PEOPLE
August Rübel and Pet Parrot
Rancho Camulos


Click image to enlarge

Ranch owner August Rübel and his parrot, Johnny Dingtoes, in front of the courtyard of the Rancho Camulos adobe, facing east (Rübel is looking west). 2½x2½-inch print.


According to Triem & Stone (1996) — and to his two surviving daughters in 2013, Shirley Rübel Lorenz and Nathalie (Rübel) Trefzger — August A. Rübel was a New Yorker born in Switzerland while his parents were traveling there. (Despite the umlauts, he didn't speak German, according to his daughters.) He grew up on the East Coast and served with the American Field Service during World War I, driving an ambulance in France from the fall of 1917 until 1919.

Rübel attended Harvard University and came to Ventura County in 1922, first living in Aliso Canyon near Santa Paula where he and his bride, the former Mary Colgate McIsaac, ran a dairy called Billiwhack (pronounced Billy Whack). According to family tradition, after their prize bull died, the dairy went broke and they purchased Rancho Camulos (pronounced kə-MOO-lōs) from the heirs of Ygnacio del Valle in about 1924. They moved to the property in 1925 and raised five children there.

The AFS ambulance service was reactivated in 1939. American volunteers drove ambulances in France, North Africa, the Middle East, Italy, Germany, India and Burma, carrying more than 700,000 casualties by the end of World War II. August returned to the AFS in 1942 and was killed in Tunisia on April 28, 1943, when the ambulance he was driving hit a German land mine. He is buried in an American military cemetery in Carthage, now a suburb of Tunis. (After the war, in 1947, AFS transitioned into a student exchange program.)

Mary Rübel married Edwin Burger in 1946, who continued as the resident manager of Rancho Camulos after Mary's death in 1968. Subsequently the ranch has been managed by descendants of August and Mary Rübel.

The Rübel family continues to own the ranch. In fact, only two families — the Del Valles and the Rübels — have owned Rancho Camulos since 1839, when it was granted by Gov. Juan B. Alvarado to Mexican Lt. Antonio del Valle as part of the Rancho San Francisco.

Today it makes a lovely setting for a wedding. The historic buildings are operated by the 501c3 nonprofit Rancho Camulos Museum, and they're open for tours on weekend afternoons. Rancho Camulos is located located just 10 miles west of Interstate 5 on scenic Highway 126. For more information visit RanchoCamulos.org.


NT1026: 19200 dpi jpeg from original photograph | Nathalie (Rübel) Trefzger collection.
RUBEL FAMILY of RANCHO CAMULOS

SEE ALSO:
August Rübel, AFS


thumbnail

Oral Histories: Mary Rübel Burger, Jaime del Valle, Glenn S. Dumke 1958

thumbnail

Shirley Rübel Lorenz Oral History 2002

ALSO:
Oral History 2008

thumbnail

Prince Aaggie 1920s

thumbnail

Shirley with Bulldog ~1928

thumbnail

5 Church Bells 1920s

thumbnail

Fountain at Cocina ~1920s-30s

thumbnail

Shirley & Nathalie Birthday ~1931

thumbnail

Ranch Photos 1935

thumbnail

Garden Parties 1936

thumbnail

Del Valle Stagecoach 1938

thumbnail

Property Appraisal 1939

thumbnail

Rübel & Carey Kids ~1940

thumbnail

Foreman Charlie Rycroft

thumbnail

August Rubel at Desk

thumbnail

Johnny Dingtoes

thumbnail

August & Gerald 1942

thumbnail

Double Wedding 1950s

thumbnail

Peter Rubel 1935-1957

thumbnail

Grave Marker, Baby August ("Little Boy") 2013

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply