Frozen in time, Rancho Camulos Museum appears today much as it did in 1935 when these photographs seem to have been made. Back then, Camulos was a working ranch owned by August and Mary Rübel. For that matter,
with the exception of a couple of buildings constructed in the 1920s and 1930s, it looks about the same as it did in 1853 when the Del Valle family built the main adobe. Of course, the Del Valles wouldn't recognize
the rest of their property today; it became Newhall, Saugus and Valencia.
Rancho Camulos Museum is located 10 miles west of Valencia on scenic Highway 126. It is open for guided tours on weekends.
Photographs from the collection of August Rübel, who provided some identifications.
RA3501a — The wine room. The woman imbibing in the foreground is Ysabel Forker, teacher of Spanish at Kern County Union High School and Junior College in 1935. The man is not August Rübel. According to historian Judy Triem (2018), the wine room was in the basement of the main adobe.
RA3501b — Some of the same people at the fountain. After the 1994 Northridge earthquake, the brick work was replaced and the fountain was plastered over.
RA3501c — The olive press (olive mill). See another view.
RA3501d — The description on the photograph reads: "a part of the old adobe ranch house on the Camulos ranch."
RA3501e — Description reads: "Entering the open corridor that surrounds the patio of the old adobe camulos ranch home near piru California."
RA3501f — The chapel. Built in 1860 on order of Sra. Ysabel del Valle.
RA3501g — The famous Bells of Camulos.
RA3501h — No description. It could be the Santa Paula airport, which opened in 1930. An earlier Santa Paula airport opened in 1927 but was wiped out in the 1928 St. Francis Dam Disaster.
RA3501i — No description. The memorandum seems to indicate Rübel loaded a two sets of these photographs in 1939 to author Robert Glass Cleland for his book, "The Cattle on a Thousand Hills."
The book was published in 1941 and does not include any of these photos.
RA3501: Photos from the August Rübel collection in the Rancho Camulos Museum collection. Download higher resolution images here