This document was probably compiled by SCV Historical Society curator Jerry Reynolds around 1991 — after "The Grifters" (1990) and prior to the 1992 publication of Ruth Newhall's second
book about The Newhall Land and Farming Company. Sources follow each paragraph.
(Page 1): The SPRR Saugus depot was built in 1888 and opened June 21 of that year, not 1887 (link).
(Page 2): President Harrison did not stop at Saugus. He stopped at San Fernando and Santa Paula on April 24 (not 25), 1891. The Santa Barbara delegation met him at San Buenaventura (Ventura).
(Page 2 ff.): The correct spelling is Tolfree. James Herbert Tolfree (not James A.) founded the diners; Joseph Herbert Tolfree (same middle name) ran the Saugus diner.
(Page 2): In 1891 it was "Saugus." It was "Surrey" from 1906-1915.
(Page 3): The story about President Theodore Roosevelt in 1903 needs verification.
(Page 4): The appellation "Buffalo" is incorrect. Although the robber Tom Vernon did claim to be "Buffalo" Vernon — a different person —
the cited source terms the notion "ridiculous."
Download individual pages here