The Monarch Saloon stood on the west side of Railroad Avenue, roughly midblock between Market and 8th streets, as seen in this earlier photograph
when it was Nick Rivera's saloon.
California Historical Society collection; an early caption identifies the date as "about 1903" and the photographer or collector as Charles C. Pierce (1861-1946). At right is Bricker's General Store, formerly Campton's.
In 1914, most merchants in Newhall vacated Railroad Avenue and moved one block west to Spruce Street. The Monarch Saloon stood vacant for years, as seen here.
US0301: 9600 dpi jpeg from California Historical Society image (CHS-6713) in USC Digital Archive.