Mule teams continued to bring feed and supplies into Newhall long after the first trains came through town in 1876. This photograph, probably taken from the roof of the potato warehouse at the southeast corner of Railroad Avenue and Market Street, shows downtown Newhall as it looked in 1887. The shadow of the Newhall Depot, which sat at the southwest corner, is visible at right.
At extreme left is James M. Gulley's general store, previously owned by Joshua O. Newhall, brother of town founder Henry Mayo Newhall. Next door is the home of the Judge John F. Powell family. Powell was appointed justice of the Soledad Judicial District in 1875 and served on the bench for almost forty years. A couple of doors down is Mike Powell's "Palace Saloon." Next to it is George Campton's general store, established in 1876 at Bouquet Junction. (Campton's store, and the rest of the town, picked up and moved to Railroad Avenue and Eighth Street in 1878.) Standing alone in the distance is the first Newhall School, which was built about 1879 and burned down in 1890.
Photograph labeled by A.B. Perkins.