Roughly the intersection of Railroad Avenue and Market Street, looking west, with the SPRR Newhall Depot at the photographer's back, circa 1930-1932. (Today the Jan Heidt
Newhall Metrolink Station sits where the depot was located.)
In the foreground, the Monarch Saloon appears to be abandoned. It was active under that name at or shortly after the turn of the 20th Century; it had been Nick
Rivera's saloon. It stood on the west side of Railroad Avenue, roughly midblock between Market and 8th streets.
The open space to the left of the palm trees had been the Powell home. It's gone. It's approximately where Newhall Hardware would open in 1947.
In the distance at far left we see Tom Frew II's original wooden blacksmith shop on the west side of Spruce Street (now Main Street).
At far right is the general store that had once been Campton's and may have been H.W. Bricker's at this time. Here is a view of Bricker's from the opposite side.
The neglected look and the vacancies of businesses oriented toward Railroad Avenue is indicative of the fact that in 1914,
most of the businesses picked up and moved one block west to Spruce Street. The general store would have had two storefronts at the time of this photograph — one facing Railroad and another
Railroad Avenue didn't change significantly for a long time after 1914; the only real way to date this photograph is from the automobiles, which are 1930-32 at the latest. Spruce Street,
in the distance, appears to be paved, but it's hard to tell (Spruce was paved in 1926). It is earlier than 1936, because that was when the Frew blacksmith shop got a Spanish stucco facelift.
JD2001: 9600 dpi jpeg from Jo Anne Darcy Collection.