Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> NEWHALL
First Presbyterian Church
Newhall, California

The First Presbyterian Church in Newhall was an outgrowth of the Sunday School classes that were held during the late 1870s and 1880s in the lounge of the Southern Hotel, on the second floor of the Newhall School, and in parishioners' homes. The original wooden chapel opened for business May 31, 1891, at Market Street and Newhall Avenue, on land donated by Margaret Jane (White) Newhall (Jan. 16, 1831 - Nov. 3, 1900), widow of Henry Mayo Newhall, who had died in 1882. The Newhall family donated about two-thirds of the construction costs.

In 1923, the wooden chapel was moved a couple of hundred feet toward Eighth Street and transformed into a two-story brick structure that was severely damaged in the Sylmar Earthquake of Feb. 9, 1971. The brick building continued to be used for church classes and meetings until a new church building was completed in 1977.

BELOW: Another version of the same image.



AP0234: 9600 jpeg from digital image; AP0234b: 9600 jpeg from copy print.
NEWHALL FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

thumbnail

History 1891-1991

Reynolds Story


thumbnail

1st Church Building

thumbnail

Parsonage Construction 1914

thumbnail

Film Shoot ~1920

thumbnail

Chaplin in "The Pilgrim" 1923

thumbnail

Fellowship Hall Construction 1950s

thumbnail

1960s

thumbnail

1976 Cookbook

thumbnail

1977 Building Dedication

See More


RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply