Willa May Green
Dorothy E. Koons
Phyllis H. Noet
Elsie M. Shanks
Ada M. Shoemaker
The First Presbyterian Church in Newhall was an outgrowth of the Sunday School classes that were
held during the late 1870s and 1880s in the lounge of the Southern Hotel, on the second floor of the
Newhall School, and in parishioners' homes. The original wooden chapel opened for business May 31, 1891, at Market
Street and Newhall Avenue, on land donated by Margaret Jane (White) Newhall (Jan. 16, 1831 - Nov. 3, 1900), widow of Henry Mayo Newhall, who
had died in 1882. The Newhall family donated about two-thirds of the construction costs.
In 1923, the wooden chapel was moved a couple of hundred feet toward Eighth Street and transformed into a two-story brick
structure that was severely damaged in the Sylmar Earthquake of Feb. 9, 1971. The brick building continued to be used for church classes and meetings
until a new church building was completed in 1977.
Download individual pages here