Two guys fooling around in front of George Campton's general store, located at the southwest corner of Railroad Avenue and Eighth Streets in Newhall.
The man at center-right could be Campton.
Dating this photograph is a challenge, but we'll give it a shot. It's not the 1870s, when Campton erected the building. At that time, his name appeared on a
separate board above the facade. He painted his name (and only his name, followed by a stop, or period) on the facade in the 1880s, but he used a different typeface from the one seen here. At some point,
probably the 1890s, he added the words, "Established 1876," above his name, and repainted his name in this typeface with the "halo" effect behind the letters, as seen here. The words, "Established 1876," were there when this photograph was shot; they're just out of view. Finally, the overall "feel" of the building is
consistent with the way it appeared at the turn of the century when he sold it to Lindenfeld & Landell.
So we're saying 1890s.