George Campton, Newhall's first general merchant, lived in this house with his wife, the former Miss Gregeria De Soto of San Francisco, and their children (three
sons and a daughter).
The house was located at the northeast corner of 8th Street and Spruce Street in downtown Newhall. Today (2013) this section of Spruce Street is called Main Street.
We can't say with absolute certainty, but in all likelihood, Campton took apart this house and moved it to this location in January-February 1878 after first erecting
it in 1876 at Bouquet Junction — downtown Newhall's original location. Reynolds
tells us: "The town of Newhall was laid out [at Bouquet Junction] on October 13, 1876, by Western Development, a real estate subsidiary of Southern Pacific.
The first lot was sold to George Campton, who built a general store that doubled as a post office, with Campton as postmaster.
This was followed by the Campton residence, Mrs. Harper's four-room boarding house with dining area, and Wilson's Saloon.
"Unfortunately, this was a time of drought," Reynolds continues. "The levels of the wells had dropped dramatically. Not only people,
but great steam engines needed the precious liquid, so on January 15, 1878, the decision was made to relocate the depot and town two miles southward
to Sixth Street and Railroad Avenue. The move was completed and everyone reestablished by February 16."
Campton maintained his store on Railroad Avenue until about 1900. He died in Los Angeles in 1923 at age 83.
George Campton biography in "Pen Pictures from the Garden of the World," 1889.