Brass bell, mounted as a trophy, Canyon Country Lions Club. Brass, wood (probably oak), aluminum. Overall height: 11.5 inches; would have been 12 inches but Lions Club emblem topper is bent back. Base is 11x11.5x3.25 inches.
Donated by Eric Jackson to the Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society, October 4, 2019. Jackson purchased it earlier in 2019 at an estate sale from the estate of Lions Club member Dan Bledsoe (1934-2018), who ran a Texaco and Shell station at Solemint Junction. Excerpt from Bledsoe's obituary:
Dan served in the Army and the Army reserves from 1957 to 1963 serving at the Nike base in Santa Clarita, CA. ... Dan spent most of his life enjoying his work in the automotive industry, owning a Texaco and Shell gas station, Valley Towing, and working as a mechanic for Veluzat Motion Picture Rentals where he worked on cars for "The Dukes of Hazzard" TV show. He spent the last 24 years in tire sales at Daniel's Tires, retiring in late 2017.
The Mint Canyon Lions Club organized January 9, 1948, at Andre's Cafe on Sierra Highway in Forrest Park. The new Lions Club raised funds (see below) to erect the Mint Canyon Community Building at 17766 Sierra Highway — which eventually became the Santa Clarita Elks Lodge, B.P.O.E. 2379.
Further research is needed, but it stands to reason that the Mint Canyon Lions Club changed its name to Canyon Country Lions Club in the 1970s — just as the Mint Canyon Chamber of Commerce had done. (The name "Canyon Country" didn't exist locally when the Mint Canyon organizations formed.) Both names — Mint Canyon Lions and Canyon Country Lions — appear interchangeably in The Signal during the 1970s; it seems the name change was slow to catch on. The club used the Mint Canyon Community Building both before and after it became the Elks Lodge.
No mention of the club is made after 1992.
HB1905: Download original images here. Digital images by Leon Worden. Artifact in SCV Historical Society collection.