Camulos Cemetery Postcard
Rancho Camulos
image
Click image to enlarge | Download archival scan

article
M. Rieder postcard. Click to enlarge.

Above: Penny postcard (unused, divided back) showing a mourner at the cemetery on the approx. 1,800-acre Rancho Camulos at the western edge of the old Rancho San Francisco (Santa Clarita Valley). Printed inscription at upper left reads: "Cemetary [sic] at Camulos — Ramonas old home, Cal." Published by M. Rieder of Los Angeles, printed in Germany. Probably from Rieder's series of Camulos postcards that were still current in 1909.

Below: Same underlying photograph but tinted differently. Inscription appears at lower left in block letters, with the same misspellings. Published in 1915 by Thomas P. Getz of North San Diego, who published other "Ramona"-related postcards (focusing on the "Ramona" story, not on Camulos). Getz was the author of "The Story of Ramona's Marriage Place: Old San Diego, California" (~1900).

The cemetery is located north of Highway 126 on the Rancho Camulos property. Landowner Ygnacio del Valle (1808-1880) was initially interred in an above-ground coffin or vault seen here, surrounded by a white picket fence. In 1905 Ygnacio's widow Ysabel has his body exhumed and moved to Calvary Cemetery in Los Angeles, where Ysabel was ultimately laid to rest in the same coffin.

Or so the story goes.


image Thomas P. Getz version, 1915.


Top (LP1501b): 9600 dpi jpeg from original postcard purchased 2019 by Leon Worden. Bottom (LP1501): 19200 dpi jpeg from smaller jpeg of original postcard, collection of Lauren Parker (online only).
RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply
comments powered by Disqus