Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> S.C.V. HEALTHCARE   > NEWHALL

Newhall Community Hospital Moves to 6th & Spruce Streets.


Webmaster's note.

Newhall Community Hospital, a "doctor's hospital" (private practice), opened in 1922 at 206 Sixth Street. In 1926 it moved to larger quarters, described here as a "new hospital," at the northwest corner of 6th and Spruce (now called Main Street). At the time, it was called the Newhall Emergency Hospital — although after 1930, that name would be used for an unrelated doctor's hospital that was opened up the street by Dr. Sarah L. Murray.

We don't know exactly where 206 Sixth Street was in relation to 6th and Spruce, but it can't have been far, and it may have been adjoining. We learn here that the original 1922 building was converted in 1926 to a sort of transitional care unit. Also, it's interesting to note that in 1926, the new hospital is said to have capacity for 10 patients; by 1940 (see Brunner) and into the 1960s, it was only a 7-bed hospital.



Click to enlarge.

New Hospital to Open.

Newhall's fine new Emergency Hospital will open to the public for inspection on Saturday, January 16th from 2 o'clock till 10 o'clock p.m.

The opening of this fine new hospital is a great card for Newhall, and we hope every one interested in the town will try to be there to see what has been done. The town is under great obligation to Mr. Hammond the owner for his enterprise in providing such a find building for the work of the hospital.

Dr. Savage will be the physician in charge of the medical part, and in the short time he has been there has already proved his ability as a physician. He and his estimable wife are very desirable additions to our community.

Mrs. Kidder and her sister will continue as nurses in charge, and it is safe to say they will give the same general satisfaction as in the past.

Now don't forget, but be sure and go over and look at the new hospital, and remember it is next Saturday, January 16th.

News story courtesy of Lauren Parker.



Click to enlarge.

New Hospital Opened.

The opening of the new Emergency hospital Saturday afternoon was well attended, and from two o'clock until the closing hour, a steady stream of pleased Newhall people, besides many from other points were conducted through the fine building, and many were the expressions of pleasure heard on every side.

Entering the front door, one step into the little reception room, cozily arranged for the comfort of waiting patients [sic]. Just back of that is the operating room, which is the last word in convenience. A double door opens to the alley, so that patients can be taken directly from the ambulance to the table. Next back is the built in kitchen, with every convenience for cooking, and preparing tempting dishes for patients. Then comes the general ward, across from which are additional wards, a bath and toilet. In front on the other side from the office are the rooms occupied by the nurses, these having separate bath and cozy parlor and a bed room.

The entire hospital has accommodations for ten patients at once, which will be the capacity of the nurses to take care of. But with the conveniences and accessories, one can get as good care and help here as any place. Newhall people have reason to be proud of this new addition to the town, and should show their appreciation by boosting it on all occasions.

Mrs. Kidder, who is in charge, has had many years experience as a trained nurse. Dr. Savage, the house surgeon, is a young man who has established a fine reputation, and is a credit to the community.

Members of the Woman's club assisted in the opening. Refreshments were served during the afternoon.

News story courtesy of Lauren Parker.



Click to enlarge.

[Brief.]

The old hospital building is being remodeled, and will be used in connection with the hospital, for people who desire to remain here while relatives or friends are in the hospital.

News story courtesy of Lauren Parker.


NEWHALL COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

thumbnail
History of Newhall Community Hospital (Brunner 1940)

thumbnail
Hospital Moves 1926

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply
  • Edwards Valencia
  • Edwards Cyn Ctry
  • Calendar
  • Freeway Conditions
  • Lowest Gas Prices
  • Canyon Theatre
  • The MAIN