Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> FOURTH OF JULY PARADE   > DOWNTOWN NEWHALL
Fourth of July Parade 1946
Newhall, California


Click image to enlarge

Newhall Fourth of July Parade, 1946. Person unknown. In the background is Fred Lamkin Chevrolet at what would become 24374 Main Street (southeast corner of Main and 9th streets). At the time it had a three-digit address and the street was called Spruce. Lamkin Chevrolet later became Vince Wiese Chevrolet, which moved to Creekside Road in Valencia in the 1970s. As of 2013, the space is occupied by El Taco Llama restaurant, which uses the auto showroom as it was (re)built in 1963.

The rest of the block, including the Hammond Lumber Co. (which was there at least since the early 1920s), was substantially rebuilt in the 1950s. As of 2013 it's a thrift shop and Placerita Liquor store.

Photo courtesy of Patricia Westcott Kelly, originally of Mentryville (1933-1941), then of Newhall. She obtained the photo from her sister-in-law Annette (Kelly) Birkbigler and Mary Louise Williams. Patricia writes: "The Kellys lived in the back adobe house on Melody Ranch, as their dad was a guard, about the Korean War time."


PW4603a: 19200 dpi jpeg from copy print.
NEWHALL FOURTH OF JULY PARADE 1946

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply