The City of Santa Clarita was incorporated on
December 15, 1987 and encompasses the major portions of the communities of Newhall, Saugus,
Canyon Country and Valencia. Santa Clarita has a "city manager" form of government and
a part-time City Council. Council elections are held in April of even-numbered years. Council
members are elected to four-year terms.
City Council members for the period 1996-98 (from left to right in photograph) are listed
by name, occupation and year first elected:
- Jo Anne Darcy, county supervisor's field deputy, 1987
- Janice Heidt, book store owner, 1987
- Carl Boyer III (seated), high school teacher, 1987
- Hamilton Clyde Smyth, retired school superintendent, 1994
- Jill Klajic, community activist, 1996 (also 1990-94)
The office of Mayor initially rotated annually among Council members. Carl Boyer III served as Mayor in 1996
and H. Clyde Smyth in 1997.
Unauthorized photo below. (Take a good look at Jan.)
Click image to enlarge.